A gamer and writer at heart who wants to combine his hobbies into one. I am 25 years old and I'm from the Netherlands. Having played many games over the years, I wanted to express my love for them, however obscure they may be!
Hey there, welcome back to Nep’s Weekly update! I skipped last week because there honestly just wasn’t enough to talk about to warrant a blog post, both when it comes to happenings in real life but also when it comes to gaming. This week is completely different however: I got my fulltime job contract! This was bound to happen eventually, but to have it confirmed feels really good. I highly enjoy working at my current workspace and definitely hope I can remain here for as long as possible. This doesn’t change much at the moment, except that I’m getting paid more and possibly more responsibilities in the future. Not only that, but I also got some other positive news that I would like to share… but not at the moment. It’s still sort of a secret but I hope I will be able to reveal it soon! Other than that, the Game Club on my Discord server has been pretty successful so far so I’m hoping to develop that further and maybe corporate it into my site one day!
As for the site itself: The coming week(s) might have a few less blog posts than usual. I’m testing out something that I’ll come back to later, and the game I am currently playing with that test is not necessarily eligible for a normal review. It will probably still get one, but I might do something more to make it more in-depth. You’ll see eventually!
So I didn’t actually buy a new game these weeks, but I did buy something that allows me to play new games… sort of! I’ve actually been in possession of this ”emulation” device called the Retro Freak for quite a while. It’s a console that allows you to play any games from the 8-bit and 16-bit era from Nintendo, Sega and even NeoGeo. This console also allows you to put in your own games, so I don’t feel as much like a pirate since it feels like I’m playing them on a legit console. Although I will still download SNES roms since the slot for SNES games feels very unreliable and I don’t want to damage my cartridges. But this is something I have already, so what did I buy?
Introducing, my first 8Bitdo controller! The controller of the Retro Freak honestly doesn’t feel that good, sort of like cheap plastic to me. And if I want to play my retro games, I want to play them comfortably. 8Bitdo came with the solution and gives us the ability to use their controller via a Bluetooth USB dongle. This controller feels extremely well on the hands and I’m glad I brought it. I was testing around with it a bit during the week since I did notice a bit of input delay that was quite annoying, but that ended up being my TV and the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz. The latter makes a huge difference, as TVs during the retro age had 60Hz in America and 50Hz in Europe. The Retro Freak fortunately does have a setting for this, but I also had to adjust my TV for it. Regardless, it works as expected now so I’ll probably be playing on this a lot soon!
What have I been playing
This is the other reason blog posts might appear a bit less. I have been concentrating on one game in particular and well… it has easily consumed all of my time.
- The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki – You’re probably familiar with The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero, a review I made a few months back. This is the sequel! And what a sequel it is. I won’t spoil too much since I am planning to either make a blog post or a review to share my thoughts but it blew my expectations out of the water and then some. Look forward to it!
- Super Mario Bros – I figured that testing out my Retro Freak would go best with the most famous retro game out there. I was also in the mood to replay the first four Mario games which will keep me occupied the coming weeks, as it has been a while since I did so. This is the game I mentioned at that start as Super Mario Bros? That game needs no review. Regardless, I do still want to talk about it one way or another, and I think I have an idea about how exactly. Regardless, it’s still in the planning phase so it might take a week or longer before I’m publishing it on here.
Nep’s Gaming Paradise community
As always, here are a few blog posts from the community that I would like to share. Since there was no update last week, I’m also including a post from that week:
- Streets of Rage franchise by MoeGamer – With the recent release of Streets of Rage 4, Pete has been taking a look at every game in the franchise while waiting for the game to arrive. They are very extensive looks into the games, definitely worth a check if you’re interested in the fourth instalment, or the franchise in general!
- Streets of Rage 4 by Xtensive Game Reviews and Gaming Omnivore – Since we’re on the topic of Streets of Rage, might as well highlight two in-depth reviews of the latest instalment by fans of the franchise!
- New Super Mario Bros Wii by Extra Life – Red Metal provides us with a detailed review on the game that showed Nintendo had no problem with milking an idea that made them a lot of money.
And that’s it for this week! I’ve already kind of mentioned what next week will be about and how there might be fewer posts. Anyway, I’m hoping to finish Ao no Kiseki early this week which should be doable, so I can concentrate on the first few Mario games afterwards or probably some other games that suddenly come into my mind. I believe Thursday is a national holiday for our country so I’m having a short week this week!